Translate

Monday, May 9, 2011

To get to the beginning

It is just over eleven months since our wedding and now we are taking another big step in our lives.  We are (attempting) to purchase our first home.  After the year we just had this should seem easy.  But in this real estate market and with our budget easy is not what it used to be.  On one side of the coin we are lucky.  It is only because of the real estate collapse that we are even able to think about purchasing a home.  However, the homes that are now within our financial grasp are most if not all foreclosures or short sales.

A month ago we put an offer in on what we considered our charming dream home and within two weeks the deal fell apart. So we cast away our dogmatic dream home fantasy and elected for a more pragmatic choice.  A home that was not full of personality and old world charm as well as old world plumbing but a newer home that would suit our needs and our pocketbooks.

The house was built in 1971, about 1650 square feet, three bedrooms and one and a half bath, two car garage, fireplace, separate living and dining room, you get the picture.  It was originally listed for $130k and after sitting on the market for five months we offered $80k.  We viewed the property twice and both times the place was a mess.  The house is currently inhabited by three bachelors and it definitely reflects that.

The seller has accepted our offer but what now?  Now we wait for the bank to accept it.  Ugh!  If this happens quickly it could be 45 days if it happens not so quickly it could be a series of months.  I am not a patient person, never have been, and waiting is the most malicious torture anyone could inflict upon me.  So in my free time, these endless hours waiting I am planning.  Oh, I have such plans! New floors, new carpet, new paint, the list goes on and on.  My husband just rolls his eyes and refrains from comment.

This has got me thinking... Can I do what I conjure?  Or are these plans going to be finely laid but abandoned?  Is it true what Will Hunting said, could I learn all I need to know at the public library?  If we get this house I just might have to find out...

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely enjoy following this. You are so honest about things and this is a topic that some people are rather private about. I'm so curious about the process, that this is great. I also love the Good Will Hunting reference. And hey, if you enjoy the processes of planning, go for it!

    ReplyDelete