Translate

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Will You Light My Candle?

With a lot of restraint I waited until my eggs had been incubating for five days before I candled them.  Candling for those of you that don't know is taking the eggs to a dark room and shining a small, powerful flashlight through the shell toward your eye so you can visualize growth inside the egg.  I am amazed at how nature manages to take a delicious little quail egg that could be served over some tobiko at any sushi place and change it into a baby bird in only 17 days.  Super incredible.  My eggs however, may not be super incredible, and sadly they are past the delicious yellowy-center stage too.  The thing about quail eggs is that most of them have speckly, dark shells making candling pretty difficult.  Add to that my inept eye and I didn't get much out of the candling except a fearful foreboding that my hatch rate is going to be like 3%.

I love being home with my girls, I DO, but on bad days like my quail candling they can't offer much succor.  All day I was monologueing about my waste of money in purchasing the eggs only to kill them with my lack of expertise. Questions plagued me like should I just purchase another batch and start them right now so I don't lose two weeks? or what if some do hatch and then I kill them in their first week outside the egg? or what if I do order more and then all 32 of my previous batch DO hatch?  I was driving myself bonkers!

My three year old tries to offer comfort by allowing me to read Disney Princess Adventure stories, repeatedly, and then cuddle while watching Tinkerbell movies.  I try different tactics.  Millie is engrossed in Tinkerbell as she chases thistles and flutters about Pixie Hollow with her fairy friends and I escape into my planting calendar.  I bring out the old college-rule notebook, that I filched from Adam's college leftovers, and sketch garden beds and plot out seed placement.  Somehow thinking about planting vegetables distracts me from the potential quail massacre in our guest room. 

When I complete my growing calendar a new worry begins to fester. Will there be enough variety in our forecasted diet?  How many beans can you eat before a) you get sick of them?  Or b) become too flatulent to reside indoors? 

Adam comes home and brings in the mail and a Johnny's Selected Seeds catalogue.  It's as if God is saying, "Go ahead, just get a few more things." And I imagine he is winking in that fatherly, knowing way.  I go online right after dinner and binge on seed descriptions, asking Adam what he thinks about this and then that.  This lasts about ten minutes before I get frustrated with his lack of enthusiasm for fun and different foods.  Why have boring red tomatoes when you could have orange, yellow or purple?!  "Because," he explains "tomatoes are supposed to be red." And then my great thinker goes back to watching Super Troopers.  I order a handful of vegetable packets, but not from Johnny's.  I think they are a little overpriced (probably deservedly) but since I haven't planted anything yet I can afford to be cheap.  I found the seeds I wanted from Territorial Seed Co. and gave in to my romantic notions of exotic fruit and buy a Negronne fig too.

I will take this opportunity to interrupt my clear insanity and provide a table with our proposed crops for the coming growing season:

 
Asparagus

Mary Washington
Beans

Blue Lake

Gold Rush

Kentucky Wonder

Top Crop

Romano Pole
Beets

Chiogga

Gold Rush
Broccoli

Marathon
Cabbage

Quick Start
Cardoon

Cynara
Carrot

Napoli
Chard

Northern Lights
Corn

Earlivee

Painted Mountain
Cucumber

Carolina

Wisconsin
Eggplant

Millionaire
Garlic

Whole Food
Jerusalem Artichoke

Stampede
Lettuce

Gourmet Blend

Greed Bib

Green Bowl

Italian Blend

Romaine
Okra

Star of David
Onion

Guardsman Bunching

Walla Walla Sweet
Parsnip

Javelin
Pea

Wando
Pepper

Ancho magnifico

Hot Mix

Sweet Bell

Surprise
Potato

Burbank Russet

Norland Red
Radish

Early ScarletGlobe
Spinach

Donkey Savoyed
Squash (Summer)

EnterpriseStraightneck

Tri-Color
Squash (Winter)

Bon Bon Buttercup

Gold Nugget
Tomato

Early Cherry

Heirloom Mix

Surprise

Trip-L

I have separate lists for Fruits and Herbs & Flowers. But even when I look at them all together I feel underwhelmed.  Am I missing something?  Will this be enough?  Will it be more than I can handle? Will these flourish?

I have officially cut myself off though, no more, no sir. This is it my complete list.
My...
Complete...
List...

Why won't these quail just fucking hatch already and give me something live to brood over instead of trying to satisfy my nesting instinct by organizing my seed packets (alphabetically) and re-organizing them (by planting dates, that makes more sense).  Ugh!  Ten days left!


1 comment:

  1. I love it! I have not even begun to think of our garden plan yet this year...but we do have a ton of leftover seeds from overzealous plans last year that never made it in the ground. This year we are going to do better and hope that they all still are alive! Cant wait to see more photos of your crops!

    ReplyDelete