Translate

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

An Old Lady and a Baby

Well our freaky luck just changed.  As soon as our realtor, Joan,  informed us that the current deal was going south I hit the web, surfing for new potential homes.  I found one of interest and made an appointment to view it.  Adam had to work but I figured I could go check it out and see if it was worth his time.   When I pulled up Joan was there to greet me.  She confirmed that our previous deal was no longer on the table and then gave me the scoop on the home we were about to view.  The elderly woman (Dorothy) who owned the home, and has been living alone, recently had a vertebrae collapse and as a result is moving into an assisted living center.  Hmm, interesting...

So as we made our way into the house I cheered Millie up and cooed to her that it was important she be on her best behavior and adorable as possible.  Dorothy was waiting at the door for us and before we even got inside she was gushing over how cute the baby was and what lovely red hair!

The home listed at 99.9k is around 1300 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, attached garage with a beautifully green and groomed backyard, on a .17 acre lot.  There are three parks within walking distance and the elementary school is only a block away. The home itself had been very well maintained but, naturally, everything was outdated. Brown shag carpet, faux wood paneling flanked by gold flecked mirrors from floor to ceiling and every surface was draped first with a doily and then adorned with a family picture. Very livable but very vintage.

As we stood on the patio and admired the lawn I told Dorothy how much Adam and I wanted to see Millie take her first steps in a home that we owned.  I could see her melting.  I asked her about the neighbors and complimented her prolifically on her housekeeping. And then Millie and I said good-bye and let her know she would probably be hearing from us soon. 

I discussed the property with Joan and it didn't take me long to think 1) this home is just what we are looking for and 2) it is not going to stay on the market long.  I made a decision.  It was go time.  We went back to the house and told Dorothy that we were very interested and we would be putting an offer in.  And she responded that she hoped we would get the house too.

Later that day Adam and I signed a formal offer for 91.5k and waited for a response. The next day Joan called to say that our offer was one of two.  The other offer, however, was from an investor and it was cash.  "So what does that mean?"  I asked waiting for another rejection.
"It means you got it, kid." Joan replied. 
I screamed so loud that I startled Millie awake from her nap.

I couldn't believe it.  I was sure that something would happen in the coming days to make the deal fall apart and so I waited.  But today is the day we get the inspection done and Adam gets to see the house for the first time.  I couldn't keep that to myself.  This is the fifth home deal with have had in the last five months, our lease is up August 31st and after all the online research and HGTV and books borrowed from the library all it took to get us a house was a cute little baby and sentimental old lady. 


Here's to our closing date of August 26th!

No comments:

Post a Comment