Translate

Monday, May 5, 2014

Musky Ducks

Candace (my oldest Muscovy duck) laid her first egg, hurrah! That was on the 23rd.  I took the first three eggs and to eat and see if they were fertile.  They weren't. Then she took a break.  The she laid two more eggs. These were fertile. She took another break.  I noticed she was looking panicky and trying more vigorously to escape their pen.  I thought that perhaps she wanted to find a nest that was more secluded. I let the ducks start free ranging again.  She laid an egg behind the compost pile a few days ago and apparently abandoned it.  After two day of her not laying, I moved the egg to one of the nesting boxes in their pen.  Two days passed and nothing.  I am still letting them free range, my hope is that Candace has found a nest so sneaky that I haven't found it.  I kind of doubt it, our yard is pretty small and I know it like the back of my hand. I can still hope.

Two of my Muscovy ducks, Ken (left) and Candace (right). Candace is giving me some attitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment