Translate

Monday, May 5, 2014

Wall 'o Water Hick Hack


I have been attending Grow Your Own, Nevada! which is a gardening class put on by the local cooperative extension.  A couple weeks ago the lecture was on growing tomatoes.  The Wall o' Water was a key tool the presenter suggested using.  Quick intro to Wall o' Water, it is a circular cone made out of plastic that has cylindrical pockets that you fill with water and then the water acts as a barrier and season extender for cold sensitive plants.
 


 I wasn't ready to transplant my tomato starts yet but I had received my Burgess Seed Co. purchases and included in that was my hardy kiwi.  I was worried about the kiwi because its young leaves are cold sensitive regardless of its name.  I dragged my family out to a local nursery but, alas, they were sold out of these precious Wall o' Waters.  This gave me an idea, why spend money when I can make my own?  I had seen several of my mom friends post of Facebook about the DIY Backyard Waterbed (http://www.playathomemomllc.com/2012/02/giant-outdoor-waterbed/) and this inspired me.  I used the sturdy red plastic bags that Burgess sent my plants in, parchment paper and my iron to whip up a couple.
Not as pretty but getting the job done!

My Happy Hardy Kiwi Female Snuggled In
The plastic was not as sturdy as a legit Wall o' Water so I added some structure by placing cut up milk cartons inside.

My neighbor called me over to offer me some used bird cages.  We went into his backyard to grab them and he showed me their modest garden beds.  Their nursery started tomato plants were already two feet tall, sturdy and showing signs that flowers would be setting in a few days.  I was discouraged, thinking about the tomatoes that I had started from seed two months ago that just now were putting out true leaves.

Cardoon, Tomato, Cantaloupe, Eggplant, Okra and Peppers

Tomatoes, Eggplant, Cuke and herbs and onion (that aren't really thriving)

Tomato Starts
If his tomatoes discouraged me his radish and cabbage utterly debased my inner gardener.  They were perhaps a week from harvest.  My attempts at cool weather crops had so far been largely a failure.  Ants and sparrows were stealing my seeds and decimating my seedlings.  *Sigh*  I was also challenged by this revelation of neighborly success.  I immediately wanted to move some tomatoes outside, who cares if they are tiny?  If they grow outside they are still growing.  I had used all the red plastic making the two barriers for the kiwi.  I googled diy Wall o' Water and someone had said they used packing ballast. So I gave it a shot.  I took some milk jugs wrapped them in ballast, duct taped it together then transplanted some seedlings, set the jug/ballasts atop and snipped some holes in the top of the ballast pockets.  I filled the pockets with water using a funnel and water can. I moved a total of four starts out side, three Plantano and one Purple Cherokee.




These are the most flimsy. I have to top them up almost every day.  I am using them as modified cloches, putting the jug caps on overnight.  The tomatoes seem happy so far.

The weather has been phenomenal lately and I have been tempted enough to start planting.  The experts at my gardening class said that between May 15th and June 1st is the optimal time to plant warm weather crops like corn, melons and beans.  I just can't wait anymore.  The 12th of April I did a test planting of summer squash, cucumbers and watermelon.
Summer Squash

Charleston Grey Watermelon
Seeing these seeds take off has given me courage to go hole hog planting warm weather crops. From May 1st-3rd I planted beans, corn, cantaloupe, summer squash, winter squash, cucumbers.  I also planted more peas, beets and greens. 

I planted this entire bed with vining crops, I am hopeful that this will be a blanket of intertwining squash and melons

Here is a natural trellis (apple branch) that I stuck in the ground for my peas

My next garden challenge is to create row covers to protect my crops from these bothersome sparrows.  If His eyes is on the Sparrow and I know He watches me.  Then God is watching be get pretty pissed. I have been all over town looking for Remay (light weight fabric that can be used as a floating row cover), another tool talked of often at Grow Your Own, Nevada! Yet every nursery or garden center I go to has no idea what it is.  Perhaps I have had bad luck and the employees I talk to are dolts that are uneducated about their field.  Or perhaps remay is like a unicorn and the more I hunt for it the more rare it is, I just need to stop looking and it will appear one night in a meadow, lit up by the moon is a silvery glow... Probably not.  Next stop thrift store to get some gauzy used curtains.

No comments:

Post a Comment